Share this with Africa

Sudan will be removed from a United States blacklist of countries accused of sponsoring terrorism, U.S. President Donald Trump said in a tweet on Monday. He said that the country’s year-old transitional government had agreed to pay a U.S.$335 million package to U.S. victims of attacks and their relatives. Sudanese Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok has welcomed the move, Deutsche Welle reports. Washington blacklisted Sudan in 1993, accusing the regime led by Omar al-Bashir of supporting terrorist organisations. The reparations package is to compensate victims and families impacted by a series of terrorist attacks, including the bombing of US embassies in Tanzania and Kenya in 1998, and an attack on the USS Cole in Yemen in 2000. Earlier this month, Sudan’s government signed a peace deal with rebels aimed at ending decades of war, in which hundreds of thousands died.

  • After a year of negotiations, the transitional authority and a coalition of rebel groups on October 3, 2020, signed a final peace agreement aimed at ending decades of deadly … Read more »

  • Sudan’s Prime Minister Abdullah Hamdok has told U.S. Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, at a meeting in Khartoum that the transitional government is not authorised to decide on the … Read more »

United States Secretary of State Michael Pompeo leaves Sudan on August 25, 2020 after a visit to the country.